On Saturday we had a lot of yard work to do. While the younger kids napped I set Sydney up with a movie to watch while I went outside to help. When I came back in to? get the little guys up from naps and make lunch I asked Sydney to sit in a chair and eat her peas. She complained that she couldn’t hear and this was her solution. She grabbed her mini chair and sat a whole foot closer and claimed that she could hear better. She get’s points for cleverness though!
I loved watching Rome eat his peas. As you can see in this picture, he ate one pea at a time. I wish I had that much self control when it comes to food! A lesson I clearly need to learn from my 1 year old…
Tonight for dinner I had one of my favorite meals ever. Sweet potato soup. My friend brought over a similar soup for us one day when we were all sick and it got me thinking. I had never had sweet potatoes in my soup before and to be honest I was skeptical that I would like it, but it was fabulous. So naturally I had to make my own little plant-based version!
We just got hit with a random blizzard that has made me in the mood for warm soup. Although, call me weird, but we eat soup even in the summer. I am a year-round soup eater. Especially when the soup is really tasty like this one is. It’s creamy with a sweet and savory taste. I’m a fan.:)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water
- 6 cups chopped sweet potato (2 large sweet potatoes)
- 1 lb frozen broccoli
- 1½ cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup cashews + 1 cup water
- sea salt to taste
- In a large pot, saute your red onion in the olive oil on medium heat while you chop your carrots.
- Add the carrots into the pot and continue to cook while you add in your minced garlic. Saute the veggies for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the 8 cups of water and turn up the heat to high.
- While you wait for it to boil, chop your sweet potatoes and add them to the pot. Add in the broccoli and corn as well.
- In a blender, blend your cashews and 1 cup of water until smooth. Add to the soup and wait until it boils.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
- Blend just a bit with a hand blender to eliminate any large pieces of veggies and blend the flavors in just a bit.
Give this soup a try and come back and let me know what you think!